Glycemic Control in the Hospitalized Patient: An Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) Evidence-Based Practice Project
- A patient with recalcitrant hyperglycemia. Singh, Inderpal // Patient Care;1/15/1996, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p167
Focuses on a case of a woman with recalcitrant hyperglycemia. Profile of the patient; Condition of the woman; Medication; Types of insulin resistance.
- Case Study: Atypical Antipsychotic Use Associated With Severe Hyperglycemia. McNeely, Marguerite J. // Clinical Diabetes;Fall2002, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p195
Focuses on the treatment of a patient with severe hyperglycemia. Symptoms of the illness; Measurement of glucose levels; Risks of diabetes.
- Pharmacologic therapy for type 2 diabetes mellitus. DeFronzo, Ralph A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;08/17/99, Vol. 131 Issue 4, p281
Examines the goals of antihyperglycemic therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus as well as the mechanism of action, efficacy and safety profiles of the five approved classes of oral agents. Therapeutic algorithm for the initiation of oral therapy; Comparison of sulfonylureas, repaglinide,...
- sulfonylurea. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2237
A definition of the term "sulfonylurea," which refers to a class of oral drugs that is used in controlling hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus, is presented.
- Low-Dosage Continuous Insulin Infusion for Diabetic Coma. Molnar, G.D.; Service, F.J. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Dec74, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p853
Editorial. Comments on the studies conducted to determine the effectiveness of low dosage continuous insulin infusion for the treatment of severe hyperglycemia. Details of the studies; Principle behind the method; Advantages of the procedure.
- Treatment of Hyperglycemia in a 7-Year-Old Child Diagnosed With Neonatal Diabetes. Hathout, Eba; Mace, John; Bell, Graeme I.; Njølstad, Pål R. // Diabetes Care;Jun2006, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p1458
A letter to the editor about the treatment of hyperglycemia in a child diagnosed with neonatal diabetes is presented.
- Management of the Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Syndrome. Matz, Robert // American Family Physician;10/1/1999, Vol. 60 Issue 5, p1468
Reveals steps in the treatment of hyperosmolar hyperglycemic syndrome. Signs and symptoms; Clinical spectrum of severe hyperglycemic disorders; Pathogenesis; Clinical manifestations; Treatment; Complications.
- Insufficient evidence for antihypergycaemics/cancer link. // Reactions Weekly;8/31/2013, Issue 1467, p2
The article focuses on a joint consensus statement from the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) and the American College of Endocrinology (ACE), which found that a link between the use of antihyperglycaemics and the risk of developing cancer could not be proved due to...
- Farewell to Phenformin for Treating Diabetes Mellitus. Williams, Robert H. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Oct75, Vol. 83 Issue 4, p567
Editorial. Discusses phenformin which causes slight reduction of hyperglycemia. Information on a study conducted by the University Group Diabetes Program regarding the chronic toxic effects of phenformin; Comparison between phenformin treatment and placebo plus insulin treatment.