Lines and Lungs: Keeping the Bugs Out Using Evidence-Based Practice
- Preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia. Dale, David C.; Federman, Daniel D. // Cortlandt Forum;05/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p25
Describes techniques on how to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia. Proper sanitation and hygiene among physicians and nurses; Continuous aspiration of subglottic secretions via a modified endotracheal tube.
- Roll up your sleeve. Leff, Michael // Consumer Reports on Health;Nov98, Vol. 10 Issue 11, p2
Focuses on the advantages of an annual immunization with influenza vaccine for people at risk for potential deadly complications of the disease such as pneumonia. Age group that is at high risk for the disease; Individuals exempted from vaccination; Encouragement to promote vaccination for such...
- Common error can cause pneumonia. Kirkis, E. Jacquelyn // RN;May82, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p97
Discusses the causes and prevention of pneumonia infection. Organisms that can cause pneumonia; Rule in ensuring the safety of respiratory equipment; Type of nursing care for patients with pneumonia caused by Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus group A.
- Preventive Approach to Post-Op Pneumonia Proves Successful. // RT: The Journal for Respiratory Care Practitioners;Jun2010, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p35
The article reports that a pilot prevention program that included educating physicians and ward staff about pneumonia prevention, along with a standardized postoperative electronic order set, was very successful in diminishing postoperative pneumonia on the surgical ward.
- Quick guide to... // Children & Young People Now (Haymarket Business Publications Ltd;2/9/2010, p21
The article provides tips on how to manage and prevent pneumonia, which is referred to as inflammation of the tissues in the lungs caused by infection.
- pneumococcidal. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1810
A definition of the medical term "pneumococcidal," which refers to killing pneumococci, is presented.
- pneumococcolysis. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1810
A definition of the medical term "pneumococcolysis," which refers to destruction or lysis of pneumococci, is presented.
- Revisiting the basics of breathing. BONN, KAREN L. // Nursing Homes: Long Term Care Management;Jan99, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p72
Presents a review of the basics of respiration and its care in the nursing home. Details on respiration process; Effects of immobility on the respiratory system; Factors affecting the rate and depth of lung expansion and ventilation; Ways on how caregivers can deal to modify the physiologic and...
- Applying reliability to improve infection rates. // Hospital Peer Review;Mar2010, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p30
The article discusses the Pursuing Perfection initiative implemented at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center which aims to reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia rates.
- Oral decontamination treats the symptom, not the cause. Wyncoll, Duncan L.; Young, Peter J. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);5/12/2007, Vol. 334 Issue 7601, p967
This article presents a letter to the editor in response to "Preventing ventilator associated pneumonia," by C. Brun-Buisson in the April 28, 2007 issue.