High quality essays written by financial and economics experts are presented. Essays discuss the history of bank bailouts in the U.S. dating back to the Great Depression, the current financial crisis, and the efforts of the U.S. Treasury and Federal Reserve to keep the banking industry solvent. Significant terms, definitions, and economic indicators are also provided.
'Too big to fail' means 'too small to matter'.
The article focuses on the issues concerning the government's move to bailout the major banking sectors in the U.S.
Bank Risk of Failure and the Too-Big-to-Fail Policy.
Economic Quarterly (10697225)
Discusses the bank risk of failure and the policy regarding a government bailout in the U.S. Effect of the expectation of contingent bailouts on the...
GREECE MAY NOT BE THE END OF IT.
This article suggests that a 185-billion-dollar bailout of the Greek government by the European Union (EU) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF)...
Stop the Bail Outs Now.
Newsweek (Pacific Edition)
The author of the article suggests that the bailouts being given to the U.S. automobile industry and the banking industry may harm the U.S. economy....
Bank Run in Cyprus; Who's Next?
The article discusses the deal negotiated by Eurogroup to bailout the banking system in Cyprus.
ADULTERY WEBSITE SCANDAL
Mail on Sunday
Senior official at AIB used site during bank bailout.
A correction to an article about the bailout of Canada's banks in the May 2012 issue is presented.
Here Comes Another Third-World Bailout
Reports on the approval of the leaders of the Group of Seven nations for a Third World bailout scheme. Estimated cost of the bailout; Purpose of the...
Quiet! You'll wake the Australians!
Green Left Weekly
The article reports on the demonstration of the indignants movement in Australia against the huge bailouts of the big banks during the financial...
No `special treatment' for banks on fund bailout, thrift group urges
Reports on a call by America's Community Bankers' to Congress not to give special treatment to banks in the bailout of the Savings Association...
Noonan: Banks must hand over tapes
MICHAEL Noonan has warned that banks must be prepared to hand over tapes of internal conversations about the bank guarantee and bailout.
How Have Banks Managed to Repay the Bailout?
Dollars & Sense
The article presents questions and answers related to banking including how the bailout was repaid by banks.
French parliament OKs Lyonnais bailout plan
Reports on the French parliament's approval for the bailout plan for state-controlled Credit Lyonnais Bank. Planned sale of the bank's assets.
M&A Talk in Ireland
The article discusses the debt crisis in Ireland, bank finance, and aspects of a possible government bailout or nationalization of the country's...
Bank officials admit US bailouts 'better' than UK's
Money Marketing (Online Edition)
The article offers information on the views of British bank officials on U.S. bailouts. It states that officials believes that U.S. bailouts are...
Flushed with cash
Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009)
The article reports on the announcement by Flushing Financial Corp. in Long Island, New York that it has received $700 billion bailout in 2008. The...
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac: A Bailout for the People?
Journal of Economic Issues (M.E. Sharpe Inc.)
In this article, the authors examine the recent evolution of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in light of the ongoing and massive public sector bailout of...
As banks repay loans, Treasury to ask how bailout money spent
The article reports on the investigation of the U.S. Department of the Treasury on how the bailout money was spent by the individual banks.
Too Big to Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts
Reviews the book "Too Big to Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts," by Gary H. Stern and Ron J. Feldman.
Too Big to Fail
Presents excerpts from the book "Too Big to Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts," by Gary H. Stern and Ron J. Feldman.
Bank Bailout Articles A-Z
- 'BOI is turning the corner'
- 'Currency union' would see Scots fund UK bank bailouts
- 'Shock and awe Part 2 and in 3-D'
- 'Too big to fail' means 'too small to matter'
- A free market bailout alternative?
- A new deal for bank bailouts
- A plan to limit bank bailouts
- A Watchdog With Some Bite
- ADULTERY WEBSITE SCANDAL
- Alfa-Bank to decide on participating in Baltiyskiy Bank bailout within a week
- Amateur exposes the bailout blunder of Merrill Lynch
- America's Next Bank Bailout?
- As banks repay loans, Treasury to ask how bailout money spent
- Ashikaga Implodes
- BAILED OUT
- Bailout (Book)
- Bailout formula may be dropped from home loan bank bill
- Bailout repayments may herald upturn
- BAILOUTS TO HIT SAVINGS OF â‚¬100K OR MORE
- Bank Bailout: An Overview
- Bank Bailout: Guide to Critical Analysis
- Bank debt write-off will sway the voters
- Bank officials admit US bailouts 'better' than UK's
- Bank Risk of Failure and the Too-Big-to-Fail Policy
- Bank Run in Cyprus; Who's Next?
- Banking industry flexes its political muscle
- Banks that got billions spend millions to lobby
- BayernLB to sell Hungarian unit to state
- Bid to calm eurozone's Cyprus panic
- Big U.S. banks reap Asia bailout bucks
- Board members should pay for failed banks, says think tank
- Brian Tora: Cyprus bailout follows path of least resistance
- Britain 'isn't safe from fallout over the Cyprus crisis'
- Brussels works on a rescue strategy
- BUSINESS PRESS POLL
- By Bailing Out Sick Cities, We Reward Bad Behavior
- Catch 22: Aid gave GMAC funds but curbs loans to GM
- Chrysler Continued
- CL awaiting bailout plan; spinoff likely
- Conventional Wisdom
- Corporate Welfare Policy and the Welfare State: Bank Deregulation and the Savings and Loan Bailout (Book)
- Cost of lending may increase on Abil fall
- Counterpoint: The 2008-2009 US Bank Bailouts Failed
- Crisis? What Crisis? Average Bank Pay Kept Rising at the Same Rate
- Current Events
- Cyprus Deposit Tax Sets Precedent For Future Bank Woes
- Cyprus further eases capital controls
- Cyprus next for bailout as eurozone crisis deepens
- Cyprus Sinking
- Dear Wall Street: you've got bail!
- Dodd Accuses McConnell of Lying about Financial Reform Bill
- Doubt cast on Government claim that PTSB 'hole' won't cost the taxpayer
- E-Mails Show Treasury Knew Bank Championed by 2 Lawmakers Was Weak
- ECB poised to aid Spain as PM sets out austerity pain
- Economic Overview
- Editors' Note
- Espirito fall-out hits Credit Agricole
- EU 'unlikely to help uspayoff bankdebt'
- European finance ministers agree on bailout fund after lengthy talks
- Eurozone savers 'won't be raided to fund bailouts'
- FAILED BANKS, BAILOUTS, AND FEDERAL POLICY
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac: A Bailout for the People?
- Fed Sets Bank Buffer Rules
- Fed's E-Mails at AIG Trial Reveal Worry About Bailout Deal
- First Federal Reserve audit reveals trillions in secret bailouts
- Flushed with cash
- French parliament OKs Lyonnais bailout plan
- Furore over Anglo Irish tapes leak
- German Leader Seeks Big-Bank Tax
- Germans Back Bank Tax to Pay for Future Bailouts
- Germany Details New Resolution Powers
- Give Us All Your Money
- GM and Chrysler may get new bailout deal
- Gov't Report: 66 Struggling Banks Got Bailout Money Through 'Healthy' Bank Program
- Govt closes Credit Guarantee Scheme
- Greece offers tax hike to clinch creditor talks, report
- Greece poised for troika talks
- Greek government shaken up, banks open
- Grexit still possible, despite bailout
- Here Comes Another Third-World Bailout
- Hitting a Wall Street
- How Have Banks Managed to Repay the Bailout?
- Investment banker lines up RBS role
- Investment banks left out in the cold
- Investors hope for ECB action on Spanish banks
- Irish crisis good news for business travel
- Is deposit insurance the bankers' Faustian bargain?
- Japan Bails Out Resona Bank
- Japan's Bank Bailout: Just a Start
- joan doubts eu deal
- JP Morgan Change
- Kenny causes Dï¿½il uproar with claim bank bailout papers were 'shredded'
- Letting big banks fail is 'holy grail' says Bailey
- Life saver
- M&A Talk in Ireland
- Marrying for money
- Mexican bank reform
- Momentum Is Beginning To Build For CU-Specific Bailout
- Moral hazard exists
- More bank fee hikes?
- More Income Tax Breaks For Rich "Job Creators?" Sure. But With Strings
- Mortgage companies in big trouble
- Nationalize that! Why should Alice and Mike give a damn about failing banks?
- New Powers Mean New Questions For FDIC
- No `special treatment' for banks on fund bailout, thrift group urges
- No default of their own
- No. 21: Caroline Silver, Moelis & Co
- Noonan: Banks must hand over tapes
- Now second tiny state is engulfed by euro crisis
- Now they want to raid our nest eggs ...just like Cyprus
- NPL Auction Market Going Nowhere Fast
- Obama Eyes Shaking Down Banks To Cover FHA's Deepening Losses
- OBSESSIONS OF FINICKY FRED
- Officials in dark over when we will reap â‚¬63bn bank bailout dividends
- Otkritie to act as Trust Bank bailout investor - paper
- Pain from Spain
- Panicked Cypriots queue at ATMs as bail-out deal hammers their savings
- Paul Kiel and Karen Weise Discuss the Stars and Slackers of the Bailout
- Plans to target deposits in new bailouts... but only over â‚¬100k
- Presidential comfort zone
- Pressure to Sell Grows for Banks with Bailout Debts
- Quiet! You'll wake the Australians!
- QUOTE OF THE DAY
- RBS ends taxpayer guarantee
- RBS launches ï¿½3bn Direct Line float
- RBS resists bonus link to paying back bailout
- Reforms in danger?
- Rock to be in debt for a decade
- Sale of B of A Warrants: A Windfall for Investors?
- Salvaging the Banking System
- Sberbank not planning to participate in bank bailouts - Gref
- Sector focus on Europe ex-UK: Cyprus bailout revives Eurozone concerns
- Senseless consensus
- SHAKEN BY THE BAILOUT
- Slovenia in fight to hold off bailout
- Slovenia: Next In Line For A Bailout?
- Slovenian bailout 'is inev itable'
- Spain denies seeking a bailout as EU prepares to hold crisis meeting
- Spain insists banks and not taxpayers will repay bailout
- Spain's Bailout Fails The Test
- Spain's bank bailout
- Spain's clash with Draghi over bailout
- Spanish government is close to requesting bailout, say EU officials
- Straight to the POINT
- Substitute Tax Holiday for Auto Bailout
- TARP Funds to Be Extended to Life Insurers
- Taxpayers 'may not get back all â‚¬64bn of bank bailout'
- Taxpayers face Â£12bn hidden bill for bailing out banks
- The $55 billion bank-bailout scandal
- The 'B' Word: Tackling Tarp's Image Problem
- The EU gave the ECB
- The Great Bond Bailout
- The Many Cozy Relationships Of Bond Insurers
- The State 'could have saved â‚¬8bn by burning the bondholders'
- This is a big day, says Noonan as he hopes for 15-year extension on loans
- Too Big to Fail
- Too Big to Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts
- Too Big To Fail: The Hazards of Bank Bailouts
- Too much exposure
- Troika studies fallout of Cyprus bankruptcy
- Troubled banks still donate to campaigns
- U.K. Official Optimistic About Bank Tax
- UK government bank bail-out: damned if they do, damned if they don't
- UK suspends pension payments to expats in Cyprus
- We'll march until banks repay their own debts
- We'll reach an EU deal on Ireland's bank debt by October, says Noonan
- Will our bank debt deal lead to second bailout?
- Will Resona spark a buyout spree?
- Will Serfin fly again?
- Will we ever get our money back?
- WORLD BANG
- Â£12.4bn! Taxpayers to foot a hidden bill for bailed-out banks
- ï¿½100bn for the Spanish - but they insist it's not a bail-out
- ï¿½100bn Spanish bailout fails to assure markets
- ï¿½80bn Spain bailout 'is just sticking plaster for euro crisis'
- ï¿½80bn Spain bailout 'is just sticking plaster' for euro crisis